I invented this cake recently when I didn’t have the correct ingredients for my usual ginger cake. It was absolutely delicious and I had to share it.
- 75g unsalted butter
- 150g golden syrup
- 225g self raising flour
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 225g jam (any flavour)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon fruit juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm/8 inch round cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Melt the butter and syrup in a saucepan over a low heat, stir until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, ginger and cinnamon into a bowl, then add the syrup mixture and stir to combine. Add the jam, egg, orange juice and 1 tablespoon of hot water and combine to make a soft mixture. Add further water if it is too stiff.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and spread evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
5. Allow the cake to cool and enjoy.